UDON THANI EXPATS CLUB
MINUTES OF MEMBER MEETING
|Meeting number:||MOMM 0037|
|Location:||Bangkok Hospital Udon|
|Date:||Sunday, September 27, 2015.|
|Subject:||See Agenda (Distributed by e-mail and shown on the website)|
|Participants:||See attendance list (For Administration only)|
|Secretary:||J.J. van Spaandonk|
1. The Chairman of the day, Gary Ralston, opened the meeting at about 14.15 hour
2. Administrative issues
– 33 members, 1 Sponsor and 4 guests/visitors attended the meeting.
– 7 members notified that they would not be able to attend.
– At present, the Club has 74 members.
– Quorum (to vote) requires >40% members present. Quorum is OK.
– The minutes of the August 30, 2015 member-meeting have been approved. No comments
3. NewMembers, Visitors and Sponsors
* Mr. Roger Clarke, Mr. Richard Jensen and Mr. Tim Fick are welcomed and installed as
* Our Sponsor Hotel Much che Manta attended the meeting
* Four (4) guests attended the meeting.
The Club welcomes them all with much pleasure.
4. Announcements by the Board
* The yearly Boat-trip with dinner party along the Mekong River at Nong Khai is scheduled for
Thursday, October 1, 2015. For details you may consult www.udonexpatsclub.com
* Since Wednesday, September 2, 2015, the Club’s weekly Breakfast is at the “Delight” restaurant.
Starting time is 10 am. The “Delight” is located on the Adunyadet Road at the ground floor of the
* Monday’s breakfast meeting is at the Mad Hatter and at Seaside
* Friday’s breakfast is at Good Corner and at T-Bar.
* The Visitor Information Center (V.I.C.) annex Coffee Shop and Starting point of the Streetcars, for
a sightseeing Tour around the city, is open for business.
The V.I.C. is located on Atipbody Road at Tungsri Muang square, next to the Chinese Shrine and
opposite the Udon Government Building.
* The new International Airport Terminal is open for business now.
* The Money Expo is this year from 9 -11 October, 2015 at Central.
* The Delight will have their yearly Oktoberfest on October 3, 2015 Starting at 14.00 hrs (2 PM).
* The Club started on their Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/udonexpatsclub?ref=profile
a CLOSED GROUP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/167077750291427/
* For the CLOSED GROUP; the Club’s CONSTITUTION and Privacy Laws shall be respected; No
Politics and No Religious issues, only Social issues / pictures shall be discussed/posted.
* We are planning to visit the Planetarium in Udon on November 19, 2015. Details and program are in
5. Open Forum
* Jacob welcomed and introduced the Staff of our sponsor Hotel Much che Manta. The Hotel’s Staff
prepared during our meeting a collection of cup-cakes, to be served at the Coffee Brake.
We, as well as our guests, are welcome to stay at the Hotel or visit their restaurant.
For more info please click their logo on www.udonexpatsclub.com
* Jacob advised to promote our Sponsors and to use their services.
He continued to suggest/request all our members to bring in more Sponsors.
6. Guest-Speaker Mr. Don Suntharothok
Don started to introduce himself.
He spent many years in Australia and returned to Udon about 10 years ago.
Don is a DESIGNER / CONSULTANT and now concentrates on smaller Hotels, Mansions, Houses,
Renovations, Landscaping, Decorating and the like.
At this meeting he would like to inform us about designing/building in a tropical area. Some highlights:
– Be aware of humidity
– Be aware of termites. They create big, big problems.
– Be aware of flooding
– It takes 5 years for a tree to grow
– Have a big roof with overlap. If possible no direct sunshine at the walls.
– Have air-circulating under that roof
– Air-conditioner in the bedrooms only
– Help prevent Global warming. Design and construct environmental friendly
Don translates your living wishes into a design.
– position your house by taking into account the position of the sun.
– have a 2 story house and live on the open ground floor (Outdoor living)
– bring the garden into your house, create a waterfall
– have privacy within the family, create separate areas for various functions and family members.
– re-use the water of your bathroom for your garden
– install Solar energy
In addition to above given info Don had a lot more interesting advises.
Especially during the Q&A many questions were launched and answers given.
One of his projects in Udon was the renovation of the Pantawee hotel.
It took two and a half years to revamp the run down hotel and to built them two penthouses.
Penthouse and Paradise.
Don concluded his presentation by thanking his audience and expressed that he would like to be an
adviser / designer / contractor for our members at building a house.
Don can be reached at: [email protected]
or by tel; 085 004 6039
The members thanked Don with much applause.
Gary thanked Don for his very interesting lecture and invited us all for the Coffee Break.
7. Coffee break
We enjoyed the assorted cookies, coffee & tea, water and the Cup-Cakes presented by our sponsor
Hotel Much che Manta while many used the opportunity to continue discussing their questions
8. Presentation by Club-memberMr. Gary Ralston; FALLING DOWN
Because of the sad fact that not so long ago his aunt and a few years earlier his mother broke their
hip by falling at home resulting in death, Gary would like to share his research and advises.
– In case you break something; your life could be over.
– Make sure your eyesight is still OK. If not you may fall down easier.
– Have your eyes examined from time to time..
– Once you break something you may start to move less.
– That is not good. Do exercise.
– Make sure you eat well and have the necessary nutrition, vitamins etc.
– Try to minimize your medications. Discuss this thoroughly with your doctor.
– Be aware that prescriptions of different medics may be in conflict with each other
– Be aware of Hospital Acquired Sickness.
At about 16.15 hrs. Gary thanked the audience for their attention, Much che Manta for their sublime
Cup-Cakes, and closed the meeting.
Next meeting will be on Sunday, October 25, 2015. Please check at www.udonexpatsclub.com for
possible changes and/or further information.
September 30, 2015.
Joop J. van Spaandonk,