UDON THANI EXPATS CLUB
MINUTES OF MEMBER MEETING
|Location:||Bangkok Hospital Udon|
|Date:||Sunday, October 26, 2014.|
|Subject:||See Agenda (Distributed by e-mail and shown on the website)|
|Participants:||See attendance list (For Administration only)|
|Secretary:||J.J. van Spaandonk|
1. Peter Edwards opened the meeting at about 14.00 hours.
2. Administrative issues:
– 26 members, 1 Associate member, no Sponsors and 7 guests attended the meeting.
– 14 members notified that they would not be able to attend.
– At present, the Club has 64 members of whom; 21 members have been absent > 3
meetings. Of those 21; 8 members are pending renewal. (A reminder to be send).
– Quorum requires >40% of (64 minus 21) 43 is >17 members present. Quorum is OK.
– The minutes of the September 28, 2014 member meeting have been approved. No comments.
3. New Members, Visitors and Sponsors;
*Seven (7) visitors; Mrs. Esther te Lindert, Mr. Ulrich Schubert, Mr. Arne Rubin, Mr. Lee Bagdon, Mr. Barry Lagos, Mr. Peter Covey and Mr. Andy Fleming attended the meeting.
*Mrs. Kamol and Mrs. Pichamon (both not present today) joined as Associate Members.
The Club welcomes them all with much pleasure.
*The preferred day and time for the Annual Dinner in December is a Sunday from 18 – 20 pm.
The dinner-committee will do her best to comply.
*Dr. Tanutporn C. Lunstrum prepared, on our special request and short notice, an eye-opening presentation about the epidemic spread and control of EBOLA. An RNA virus with 5 subspecies. For our acknowledgment and as a warning we attached Dr. Tanutporn’s presentation to this minutes.
We strongly recommend and advise all readers of this minutes to open the Attachment and read the contents. It may safe yours and others life in case of contamination.
When you think you are infected: Do not travel. Call your Hospital to come and get you. In Udon, only the Udon Hospital at Nong Prajak Lake, 042-245 524, is designated to help. Time is essential; for there is no Viral laboratory in Thailand to check, all blood-samples have to go to the USA for testings.
5. Coffee Break
At the Coffee Break we enjoyed coffee & tea with assorted cookies and, not to forget the animated discussions.
6. Guest Speaker; Mr. Gary G. Ralston
Mr. Gary presented in a very entertaining way the issue of “Getting old and what we can do about it”.
The main topics are:
1) Some statistics regarding death
2) Medical Errors in the USA, now the #3 cause of death !
3) How to build a social life as a Senior Citizen.
4) Getting Proactive about YOUR healthcare
5) Other Considerations
In short, some highlights:
@1) The Life Expectancy in Thailand (2011) for M = 70.7 years, F = 77.4 years. And All = 74 years.
@2) Avoidable medical errors are the #3 leading cause of death.
One in three patients in the USA encounters a medical error during a hospital stay.
On a given day, about 1 in 25 hospital patients has at least one Hospital Acquired Infection.
Ten (10) types of error accounted for more than two-thirds of the total costs of medical errors.
The top two (2) being postoperative infections and pressure ulcers. (Pressure on skin reduces blood flow; without enough blood, the skin ma die. An ulcer may form).
In the USA the costs for medical errors are a colossal 1 trillion Dollar each year.
@3) Pick up the hobbies you liked before
Return to keeping fit
Find a buddy, join a club (Expats Club)
Be open to new suggestions
Become a mentor for younger people
Think outside the square (box)
@4) Have a Health Check regularly. In consultation with your health care provider you should consider: Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm, Blood Pressure, Cholesterol and Heart Disease, Colon Cancer, Dental Exam, Eye Exam, Immunizations, Infectious Diseases, Osteoporosis and have Preventive Health Visits.
– Reducing sugar intake
– Health Insurance at feast for Hospitalization and annual check-ups.
– Having a life partner
– Applying Health monitors; Blood pressure, Heart rate, Oximeter, Pedometer etc
– Writing down the Emergency telephone numbers in your area.
– Taking food supplements (if necessary only) such as;
Calcium, Vitamin D, Fish Oil, Coconut Oil, Vitamin B-complex, CoQ10 etc.
For the proper context, a better understanding and all the resources, we advise to read the Attachment.
We thanked Mr. Gary with an applause for his educating and much appreciated presentation.
* Mr. Paul Mueller together with Mr. Eckehart Lynen informed about the follow-up to the earlier suggestion to start an informative English Radio / TV program here in Udon. The ongoing discussions about the realization are pretty promising.
The program will be a mixture of: News, Actual Occurrences, Cultural Events, Sport, Music, etc.
8. Open Forum
The meeting was closed by Peter at about 16.00 hrs.
The possibility to have another cup-of-coffee was well used. Last attendees left at about 17.15 hrs.
Next meeting will be on Sunday, November 30, 2014. Please check at www.udonexpatsclub.com for possible changes and / or further information.
October 30, 2014.
Joop J. van Spaandonk