UDON THANI EXPATS CLUB
MINUTES OF MEMBER MEETING
|Location:||Bangkok Hospital Udon|
|Date:||2014, Sunday, June 29.|
|Subject:||See Agenda (Distributed by e-mail and shown on the website)|
|Participants:||See attendance list (For Administration only)|
|Secretary:||J.J. van Spaandonk|
1. Eddy Gobart opened the meeting at about 14.15 hours. (Because of heavy traffic, many arrived a little late).
2. Administrative issues:
– 26 members plus 1 new member, Mr. Robert Pollak, attended the meeting.
– 18 members notified that they would not be able to attend the meeting.
– At present, the Club has 62 members (excluding the new member) of whom; 19 members have been absent > 3 meetings. Of those 19; 5 members are pending renewal. (A reminder will be send).
– Quorum is >40% of (62-19=43) =>17 Members. Quorum is OK.
– Four (4) Sponsor attended the meeting; Mrs. Emmi Hines, Dr. Lindsay Stuart, Mr. Mike Delcano of UDIS and Mr. Watcharaphon Uttranuson (Pocy) of Akepanich, Tuk Tuk.
– Also Honorary member Mr. John Thavon with his wife Mrs. Tina and Mr. Joe (International Marketing) of Bangkok Hospital Udon attended today’s meeting.
– The minutes of the April 27, 2014 member meeting are still pending.
– The May meeting had to be canceled due to circumstances beyond our control. No minutes made.
3. New Members, Visitors and Sponsors;
* Mr. Gary Ralston, Mr. Bob Nelson, Mr. Colin Inglis and Mr. Pieter Roos became members during last months.
* One (1) new member joined the Club to-day; Mr. Robert Pollak from Israel.
* Two (2) visitors; Mr. Dan Tyler and Mr. Christopher ??, both from the USA, attended the meeting.
Three (3) new Sponsors; Ake Panich (Tuk Tuk), TSL and the Chef’s Table joined the Club.
The Club welcomes them all with much pleasure.
Eddy started to thank Tom Dahlqvist, who resigned from the Board last May, for his contributions and many hours spent for the Club over the past years; and continued with the election of the nominated member for the Board, Mr. Paul Georgakis.
After Paul introduced himself the election took place.
Twenty two (22) out of twenty six (26) members present voted YES. The chairman, the new member of today and Paul himself did not vote. Abstention one (1) member. One (1) member joined the meeting after the voting took place.
The chairman stated the voting for Mr. Paul Georgakis approved and adopted. The Club welcomes Paul to the Board with much pleasure.
5. Presentation by the new Sponsors;
* Due to a funeral in the family, TSL had to call off their presentation.
Note; In advance of a next opportunity, the company profile has been attached.
* Due to other obligations, the Chef’s Table postponed their presentation until a later date.
* Akepanich, the Tuk Tuk manufacturer here in Udon Thani, did come to the meeting.
Mr. Pocy, the grandson of the company’s founder, presented with the help of light pictures the development of the company over the past years. Starting with a Sam-loh (3 wheeler bicycle) they now produce a wide range of motorized Tuk Tuks with various engines. Even products made on your own design or wishes are possible.
Mr. Pocy distributed some folders to show the most popular designs. For more information you may visit the Club’s website; and with a mouse-click on their logo you will be directed to their sites. Or visit their offices here in Udon.
6. Coffee Break
We enjoyed a relaxed and entertaining Coffee Break.
After the break, Mr. Joe of Bangkok Hospital Udon introduced himself as the new International Marketing Colleague of Mr. John Thavon and Kurt Lunstrum. We may contact him for advise.
7. Guest Speaker
Eddy welcomed and introduced the Guest Speaker for today Dr. Lindsay Stuart, Head and director of the “Udon Thani International School” (UDIS).
Dr. Lindsay introduced the first international school here in Udon Thani with the help of a power point presentation. He showed the already achieved and future construction developments of the UDIS and informed about the School’s Accreditation and, British influenced, Curriculum. Their teaching program and standard, allows students to continue their studies in Thailand as well as throughout the world.
Mrs. Emmi Hines continued to present in more detail, the teaching programs and philosophy for the different ages.
Dr. Lindsay closed the presentation with an open invitation to the Club’s membership; Those who like to participate in the school’s program, on an occasional base, are welcome to join their program. This could, for example, be a presentation in various subjects like arts, sports, hobby’s, Etcetera.
After a relaxed Q&A, Eddy, in name of us all, thanked UDIS for their very pleasant and informative presentation and, as a sign of thanks, the Club’s authentic “ Certificate of Appreciation” was presented.
Note; Attached is the complete presentation with all details for your convenience and comprehension.
* Upon a suggestion and request of a member to start an “Activity-Group” and after a first evaluation of the pro’s and con’s, it is the Club’s intention to continue with the necessary paperwork and to open such a possibility.
In a first step to establish such an Activity-Group, a document with the “Terms & Conditions for Activity-Groups under the umbrella of the UTEC” is under preparation.
Q&A; Yes, After establishment, the Breakfast-group will be such an “Activity-group”.
* Briefly a future Seminar (004) has been discussed. The Seminar will be about Udon Thani; the Quality of life, Future developments, Infrastructure and natural resources (Roads, Electricity, water….) and the role we, as expatriates, can play. Upon a brief inquiry, it shows that a considerable number of members is very interested. Because of that we will continue with the preparations and keep everybody informed.
* We were informed that the “ROAD MAP to the HEREAFTER” we posted on our Website for “Members Only” showed very helpful, especially the Thai translation is much appreciated. We strongly recommend all expats to inform their Thai partner about this document. It was remarked that in addition to the required-documents, stated already, the Thai authorities also request the name of the deceased’s Mother and Father.
* We would like to thank those members that contacted new Sponsors for UTEC. However to complete the process smoothly, we kindly request you to, verbally or by mail, inform our Sponsor Committee (Jake) or the secretary (Joop) to effect their enrollment.
9. Open Forum
* Nick informed that he is thinking to start an Activity-Group (Raising Awareness) for the Monday-afternoon and will soon come with more info.
* Jake informed that this year’s Independence day (VFW, Pot Luck party), will be on Saturday, July 5, Starting 11 am. Those that are interested can either contact him or William Merrit for the details.
* Ecki informed that the very popular Thai group “Carabao” will have a performance on Sunday July 6 at UD-town
* Bill informed that the Good Corner restaurant will have a buffet on Saturday July 12 starting at
16.00. Music starts at 18.00pm.
* The new soccer-schedule for this year is posted on our website page “Activity”
10. The meeting was closed by Eddy at about 16.00 hrs. Last attendees left at about 17.00 hrs.
Next meeting will be on Sunday, July 29, 2014. Please check at www.udonexpatsclub.com for possible changes and / or further information.
July 01, 2014.
Joop J. van Spaandonk