UDON THANI EXPATS CLUB
MINUTES OF MEMBER MEETING
|Meeting number:||MOMM 0024|
|Location:||Bangkok Hospital Udon|
|Date:||2014, Sunday, July 27.|
|Subject:||See Agenda (Distributed by e-mail and shown on the website)|
|Participants:||See attendance list (For Administration only)|
|Secretary:||J.J. van Spaandonk|
1. Joop opened the meeting at about 14.00 hours.
2. Administrative issues:
– 20 members, 1 Honorary member and 1 new member attended the meeting.
– 16 members notified that they would not be able to attend the meeting.
– At present, the Club has 64 members (excluding the new member) of whom; 19 members have been absent > 3 meetings. Of those 19; 5 members are pending renewal. (A reminder will be send).
– Quorum is >40% of (64-19 is 45) is >18 Members. Quorum is OK.
– The minutes of the June 29, 2014 member meeting have been approved. No comments.
3. New Members, Visitors and Sponsors;
* One (1) new member joined the Club to-day; Mr. Terry Clayton from Canada.
* One (1) visitor; Mr. Jo Wunderink from the Netherlands attended the meeting.
* One (1) new Sponsor; the Bookhouse restaurant, joined the Club last month.
* Bangkok Bank Plc. (Head office) informed to be a Club’s Sponsor.
The Club welcomes them all with much pleasure.
4. Guest Speaker; Mr. Martin Makella
The presentation discussed the installation of a Linux operating system (Ubuntu) on a computer.
Mr. Martin composed some advantages of a Linux OS over other Operating Systems:
– Linux is free of charge, it is legal, it is very stable, fast and has regular up-dates.
– The set-up is very logical and therefore easy to understand
– By applying Linux Kernel; You do not have to worry about viruses
The first step is to download Linux from the internet to a CD.
The second step is to download the OS from the CD to your computer. At that time you may make your choices from the various possibilities Linux offers. You click your choices and start uploading.
Because of a slow network, the presentation was interrupted, to allow the new program to download. We, in the meantime continued with items 5, 6, 7
5. Open Forum
Kurt informed; that the Hospital offers, as a Promotion, a free check on Hepatitis B (As that seems to
spread around). The Promotion only counts on July 28, 29, 30 and 31. Vouchers were distributed.
6. Coffee Break
We enjoyed a relaxed and entertaining Coffee Break.
* Upon the, at the June meeting, accepted suggestion to start the possibility for an “Activity-Group” under the umbrella of the UTEC; the Board worked out and approved the “Terms & Conditions for Activity-Groups“, dated July 22, 2014. See attachment to the distribution-mail. After the initial period, these will be evaluated and corrected if needed.
* Pending the elaboration and approval of the “Terms & Conditions for Activity-Groups”; The Board received the “Guidelines for the Raising Awareness Group” together with an application of Nick to start the “Raising Awareness Group”.
* After the approval of the “Terms & Conditions for Activity-Groups”; The Board accepted the “Guidelines for the Raising Awareness Group”. With this acceptance the “Raising Awareness Group” is a fact.
8. Open Forum
* It is suggested to start a rotation for the weekly Club-Breakfasts across the (Sponsor’s) locations. After a study of the feasibility, the details will be worked out. And, if found suitable, the schedule, stating date and location, will be distributed and posted on the Club’s website.
* It is suggested to start a “Lucky Breakfast Draw” at the weekly Club-Breakfasts. After completion of the feasibility study (Legal aspects etc) and if considered acceptable, the “Terms and Conditions” will be distributed and posted on the Club’s website.
* In September we, like last year, will have a boat-trip with dinner at the Mekong river in Nong Khai. Details will be dispatched at a later date.
* The new soccer-schedule for this year is posted on our website; see “Activity” page.
9. Continuation of Guest speaker; Mr. Martin Makella
After discussing items 5, 6, 7 and 8; the computer was ready with the installation of the Linux Operating System and Mr Martin continued with the demonstration of the various functions.
Those functions showed quite similar as for example by using Windows. It is like driving a new car; all functions are the same as with the old car, only the buttons are positioned otherwise.
Mr. Martin finished his presentation with a well used Q&A.
|Note; We may conclude that by this presentation a lot of the resistance or hesitation, that many may have, to instal a new OS that deviates from their present one, has been taken away.|
The Club thanked Mr. Martin for his presentation that really was an eyeopener. It made the transfer from one’s present Operating System to the Linux O.S. much more understandable and promising. As a token of appreciation, Mr. Martin was presented a one (1) year “Associate Membership” to the UTEC. Mr. Martin thanked everyone for his attention and would be happy to join once again.
10. The meeting was closed by Joop at about 16.30 hrs. Last attendees left at about 17.00 hrs.
Next meeting will be on Sunday, August 31, 2014. Please check at www.udonexpatsclub.com for possible changes and / or further information.
July 29, 2014.
Joop J. van Spaandonk