UDON THANI EXPATS CLUB
MINUTES OF ANNUAL MEMBER MEETING
|Location:||Bangkok Hospital Udon|
|Date:||Sunday, January 31, 2016.
|Subject:||See Agenda (Distributed by e-mail and shown on the website)|
|Participants:||See attendance list (For Administration only)|
|Secretary:||J.J. van Spaandonk|
1. Peter Edwards (Chairman) opened the meeting at about 14.00 hours.
Peter started wishing us all a Happy New Year and continued with an “In Memorial” of our Members that past away during the year 2015; Lars Erik Brandt the founder of the Club, Bob Nelson and Victor Starnes who was a Chairman for the Club in the year 2011/2012.
2. Administrative issues
– 28 members, 0 Sponsor and 3 guests attended the meeting.
– 11 members notified that they would not be able to attend.
– At present, the Club has 65 members, 1 Honorary member and 6 Associate members,
– Quorum requires >40% members present. Quorum is OK.
– The minutes of the November 29, 2015 member meeting have been approved. No comments.
3. New Members, Visitors and Sponsors
* Mr. Christopher Marshall (Chris) and Mr. William C. Foster (Bill), in their absence, were installed as new members.
* Mr. P. Olsson (Pär), in his absence, was installed as an Associate member.
* Three (3) visitors attended the meeting.
* Fuzzyken listed as a Sponsor in January this year.
We would like to recommend to visit Fuzzy Ken’s website http://www.fuzzyken.com/ and of course his restaurant, grocery and book shop. He is located on Posri Road, opposite Central Plaza.
4. Annual Club Report
Gary Ralston (Vice Chairman) recalled and explained, using a projected image of the “Annual Club Report on the year 2015”, the Organization, the Activities, the Guest Speakers and Performance of the Club over the past year.
For details please consult the Attachments to the distribution mail of these minutes.
Gary thanked all for their continuing support and loyal attendance at our meetings and activities.
5. Annual Financial Report
Hans van Geffen (Treasurer) presented and explained using a projected image, the:
– Cash Flow Statement for 2015
– Balance Sheet 2015
– Projection for 2016
The members agreed, approved and thanked the
Upon some questions; the Secretary explained the “Claim H. Broeckx” on the Balance Sheet.
Dean Bernhardt (Inspector), on a monthly base, has checked all financial movements of the Club. In addition, at mid-year and soon after December the 31st, he executed an overall inspection and approved the bookkeeping over 2015.
6. Re-installation procedure of the BOARD
As in previous years, Dr. Bernard Hershhorn has been invited to preside over and execute the re- installation of the Club’s Board, the Assistants, and the Inspector. However, due to his present physical condition and much to his and our regrets he could not accept this invitation.
We all wish him much strength and look forward for his soon recovery.
The Secretary explained that the Nominating Committee did not succeed in finding any Nominees and nobody expressed any interest in a position on the BOARD.
Therefore, at last Board meeting, the present Board, after ample discussions (with respect to the “Constitution and By-Laws” Chapter 3, Paragraph 6), concluded to propose to continue with the present Team of the Board, the Assistant Secretary and the Inspector.
The Secretary, using a projected image of the proposal of the BOARD MAKE–UP for 2016, continued to call out the names and function of the suggested Board members where “Udon Web Design” will be Webmaster.
Whereupon he asked the Membership if they could agree the Club to continue with the present Team in accordance with the Club’s “Constitution and By-Laws”. The Membership unanimously agreed with the proposal. By agreeing, the Membership declared the complete Team elected and installed.
Note: The position of Assistant Treasurer, due to a lack of nominees, remains vacant.
The Secretary thanked the Membership for their trust and looks forward to an exiting year.
7. Continuation of the Committees
The Secretary continued to announce that, in accordance with the Constitution and By–Laws, Chapter 3, Paragraph 7, the Board has formed the Committees, as shown on the above proposal.
Members who have any interest in participating in any Committee are invited to contact the Board.
8. Coffee Break
At the Coffee Break we enjoyed fresh “som chin” (Chinese oranges), coffee & tea with assorted cookies and, not to forget, the animated discussions.
* Jacob W. Thomas, who unfortunately could not attend the meeting in person, collected some calenders of Bangkok Bank PCL, Government Savings Bank, Daiichi Lighting and BAMA for distribution. The remaining calenders will be available at the coming week’s breakfast gatherings.
* Secretary inquired if there was any interest in a Club–tour to the Taleh Bua Daeng (Red flower sea) or the Phu Foi Lom. Result; Negative, no interest.
* Peter Edwards inquired if there is an interest in having a future member meeting at the Changthai
Comfort Guesthouse Resort; http://udon-news.com/en/hotels/changthai–comfort–guesthouse A complementary lunch buffet, at Member’s own expense, in advance of the meeting could be arranged for. Only in case there is an overwhelming interest in having a meeting at that location the Club will work out the details. It is already suggested to arrange for a Carpool service. (June, July,?)
Please send your opinion / preferences / suggestions to [email protected]
10. Speaker; Mr. Gary Ralston
SCREENINGS, SHOTS AND VACCINATIONS FOR SENIORS
Using a projected image, Gary discussed the
U.S. NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF HEALTH RECOMMENDED HEALTHCARE SCREENINGS
1. Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm
Screen between 65 – 75
Ultrasound, CT Scan, MRI
2. Colon Cancer
50 – 75 Get screening. 76 – 85 Discuss need w/doctor
CEA (GI cancer)
Depression Inventory (See Attachment to the distribution mail of these minutes)
Fasting Blood Sugar or HbA1C
5. Hepatitis C
Born 1945 – 1965, Blood transfusion prior to 1992, or if ever injected drugs
Anti HCV (Hepatitis C Virus Antibody)
6. High Blood Cholesterol
7. High Blood Pressure
If 65 or younger. Older, then discuss need with doctor.
9. Lung Cancer
Low-dose Computed Tomography (LDCT)
10. Overweight and Obesity
Calculate Body Mass Index (BMI) from Height and Weight data.
Classification of Overweight and Obesity by BMI, Waist Circumference, and Associated
Disease Risk* Relative to Normal Weight and Waist
|Men 102 cm (40 in) or less Women 88 cm (35 in) or less||Men > 102 cm (40 in)
Women > 88 cm (35 in)
* Disease risk for type 2 diabetes, hypertension, and CVD.
+ Increased waist circumference also can be a marker for increased risk, even in persons of normal weight.
11. Vision Disorders
In addition Gary discussed the
U.S. NIH RECOMMENDED IMMUNIZATIONS FOR OVER 50
1. Flu shot every year, especially important for those 65 and older because at risk for additional complications when getting the flu such as pneumonia, bronchitis, sinus infections and ear infections.
2. TDAP Vaccine (Tetanus, Diphtheria, and Pertussis (Whooping cough)
Note: Get Tetanus if it has been > 10 years since your last
3. Shingles Vaccine: Reactivation of chicken pox virus. Affects 1 out of 3 adults age 60 and over.
4. Pneumococcal Vaccine (Pneumonia): PCV13 and PPSV23 for those age 65 and over.
For details see: www.labtestsonline.org
At closing Gary emphasized that:
It is highly recommended to consult your doctor or the doctor at the Hospital of your choice to compose the tests and vaccinations in your particular case.
It is considered very important that the Health test is completed with a consult with the doctor of the Hospital that conducted the tests and have his/her recommendations and if applicable the proper medications or change in your lifestyle.
It is considered very important to choose a Hospital and establish a good and reliable relation with your doctor in order to have a fast and adequate treatment in case of a hospitalization.
At BANGKOK HOSPITAL UDON;
UDON THANI EXPAT CLUB
11. Open Forum
The question if and so when the “Raising Awareness Group” would resume their meetings; will be forwarded to the Facilitator of the Group, who, at the moment, is not in Udon.
The meeting was closed by Peter Edwards at about 16.00 hrs.
Next meeting will be on Sunday, February 28, 2016. Please check at www.udonexpatsclub.com for possible changes and/or further information.
February 03, 2016.
Joop J. van Spaandonk
BOARD MAKE–UP for 2016
The Board members, the Assistants, the Inspector, the Webmaster and Committee members on the year 2016 are:
|Gary Ralston||(Vice) Chairman|
|Paul Georgakis|| (Vice) Chairman
|Peter Edwards||(Vice) Chairman|
|Joop van Spaandonk||Secretary|
|Hans van Geffen||Treasurer|
|Assistant Secretary:||Wulf Dieter Krueger|
|Webmaster:||Udon Web Design.
||Joop van Spaandonk|
|– Public Relations & Sponsorship:||Jacob W. Thomas, Mike Cosenza and Eckehart Lynen|
|– Refreshments:||David Lee, Jacob W. Thomas and Paul Georgakis|
|– Activities & Marketing:||Jacob W. Thomas, Mike Cosenza, Board + Volunteers|
|– Graphics & Facebook:||Nathan Grady and Gary Ralston|
|– Membership & Nominating:||Vacant and Paul Georgakis|
|– Radio & TV:||Paul Mueller and Eckehart Lynen|
|– Contact for UDRU & UEF:||Sven Hedell|
During the year, the position of Chairman may rotate among the Vice Chairmen.