UDON THANI EXPATS CLUB
MINUTES OF ANNUAL MEMBER MEETING
|Meeting number:||MOMM 0029|
|Location:||Bangkok Hospital Udon|
|Date:||Sunday, January 25, 2015.|
|Subject:||See Agenda (Distributed by e-mail and shown on the website)|
|Participants:||See attendance list (For Administration only)|
|Secretary:||J.J. van Spaandonk|
1. Peter Edwards opened the meeting at about 14.00 hour
2. Administrative issues
– 29 members, 1 Sponsor and 8 guests attended the meeting.
– 9 members notified that they would not be able to attend.
– At present, the Club has 63 + 2 (joined today) = 65 members.
– Quorum requires >40% members present. Quorum is OK.
– The minutes of the November 30, 2014 member meeting have been approved. No comments.
3. NewMembers, Visitors and Sponsors
* Mr. Patrick Eidson, Mr. Lee Bagdon and Mr. Norman Plummer were introduced as new Members.
* Eight (8) visitors; Mrs Tai, Mr. & Mrs. Jay Adams, Mr. Ulrich Schubert, Mr. Warwick Selvey, Mr. William Foster, Mr. Christopher Marshall, and Mr. Peter Covey of the UEF attended the meeting.
* Our Sponsor, Mr. Ken Golby, also attended.
The Club welcomes them all with much pleasure.
4. Annual Club Report
Peter (Chairman) recalled and explained, using a projected image of the “Annual Club Report for the year 2014”, the Organization, the Activities, the Guest Speakers, Seminars and Performance of the Club over the past year.
For all details and links please consult the Attachments to the distribution mail of these minutes.
He thanked all for their continuing support and loyal attendance at our meetings and activities.
5. Annual Financial Report
Hans (Treasurer) presented and explained using a projected image, the:
– Cash Flow Statement for 2014
– Balance Sheet 2014
– Projection for 2015
|Upon a request from the audience the “Details of expenses of Activities over the year 2014” is attached to the distribution mail of these minutes.|
Dean (Inspector) informed he, on a monthly base, checked all financial movements of the Club. In addition, at mid-year and just after December the 31st, he executed an overall inspection.
Dean declared that the bookkeeping over 2014 was found to be correct and has been approved by him.
The members agreed, approved and thanked the Treasurer and Inspector for their contributions.
6. Open Forum
* Jacob distributed some calenders he received of Bangkok Bank PCL.
* Kurt Lunstrum announced that he and his wife, Dr. Tanutporn, have been blessed with a wonderful daughter. They named her Alyssa.
The Membership reacted with a warm, enthusiastic applause and many well wishes.
* Jacob informed that; The Annual Thai Veteran Day Celebration will be on 3 February, starting at 0730hours (7:30 am). The Celebration will be held on the Thai Army Base, located approximately 2 km from the Prince Prajak Silapakom Statue Circle on Tahan Road (Hwy 2), right side as you drive South from the Statue Circle toward Khon Kaen, entrance will be about 50 meters past the main entrance, which is where the F4 fighter Jet is on Display. Veterans from any country are invited, Expats and Wives are welcome. Dress is Casual, however NO SHORT PANTS or SLEEVELESS SHIRTS.
7. Coffee Break
At the Coffee Break we enjoyed spring rolls, coffee & tea with assorted cookies and, not to forget, the animated discussions.
8. Re-installation procedure by Dr. Bernard
The Secretary explained that; because the Nominating Committee did not succeed in finding any Nominees and nobody expressed any interest, the present Board, after ample discussions (and for those concerned with respect to the “Constitution and By-Laws” Chapter 3, Paragraph 6), suggests to continue with the present Team of the Board, the Assistant Secretary, the Inspector and the Webmaster.
As in previous years, Dr. Bernard Hershhorn had been invited to preside over and execute the re-installation of the Club’s Board, the Assistants, the Inspector and the Webmaster.
Much to our pleasure he accepted and the “Chairman’s gavel” was handed over to Dr. Bernard for the proceedings.
Dr. Bernard thanked the Board for the honour to be invited for this job and continued to congratulate our oldest life-time-member Mr. Richard Dinsdale on his 87th birthday which started that evening at midnight. We all wished him a very Happy Birthday and many many years to come in good health.
Dr. Bernard continued to call the complete Team to the podium by reading out their names (see enclosure 1). After that he asked them; if they are ready and willing to continue their present positions. They all confirmed. Whereupon he asked the membership if they could agree the Club to continue with the present Team in accordance with the Club’s “Constitution and By-Laws”. The membership unanimously agreed with the proposal.
Whereupon Dr. Bernard declared the complete Team elected and installed. Closing the procedure he returned the “Chairman’s gavel” to Peter.
The Team thanked the Membership for their trust and looks forward to an exiting year.
9. Continuation of the Committees
Peter continued to announce that, in accordance with the Constitution and By-Laws, Chapter 3, Paragraph 7, the Board has formed the Committees (see enclosure 1). Members who have any interest in participating in any Committee are invited to contact the Board.
10. Guest Speaker; Mr. Ken Golby
Mr. Ken introduced himself and the Company “Excelsior” which he represents. Their specialization is International Will & Estate Planning.
Their services are:
|– Will writing & Estate planning|
– Executor & trustee services
– Mortgages and refinancing of Thai property
In line with the advise of our October and November 2014 Speaker, Club-member Mr. Gary Ralston,
It often appears that, in the case an Expat passes away, most relatives have no clue at all
It is strongly recommended to make a Last Will (now). For some advice and guidelines we
Mr. Ken advises you need a Will to help pass on your wealth to your loved ones after your death. And for us, living in Thailand, having immovable property, a Will is nearly always required.
In case you are unsure whether an asset that you own requires a Will then you can contact
[email protected] and you will be advised.
Mr. Ken continued to explain: Why write a Will?
|– Without a Will, it is the state that dictates how your assets should be distributed.|
– You can ensure that people you trust are in charge of your estate
– You may reduce inheritance taxes
– Have a list of Beneficiaries in the proper order
– To be sure your Will is valid and legal
|– It is recommended (almost obligatory) to appoint someone to have the power of attorney over your assets and even more important the right to make decisions over yourself in case you may become unconscious or declared incompetent.|
– In case you are married; you have to register your Thai marriage at your Embassy.
– Everybody is specific and needs a Will of his own.
Mr. Ken strongly recommends everybody to have a Will and in case you need tailor-made-advice or just some more information, do not hesitate to contact him at [email protected] or consult http://www.excelsiorlegal.net/
Mr. Ken thanked the membership you for their attention.
We thanked Mr. Ken with applause for his educating and much appreciated presentation.
* For February we will have Col. Mike Cavanaugh (retired) of the Ravens as our Guest-Speaker.
See Enclosure 2.
8. Open Forum
* Jean-Michel informed that the Khon Kaen Flower Festival is on February 1 and recommends a visit.
* Kurt informed that Bangkok Hospital Udon offers the possibility for a “Living Will”. For some advice
and guidelines you may consult him and/or the Club’s Website. Look under: “Members only”.
The meeting was closed by Peter at about 16.00 hrs.
Next meeting will be on Sunday, February 22, 2015. Please check at www.udonexpatsclub.com for
possible changes and/or further information.
January 28, 2015.
Joop J. van Spaandonk
BOARD MAKE-UP for 2015
The present Board’s proposal for the Board members, the Assistants, the Inspector, the
Webmaster and Committee members on the year 2015 is:
|Hans van Geffen||Treasurer|
|Joop van Spaandonk||Secretary|
|Paul Georgakis||Vice Chairman|
|One (1) vacancy|
|Assistant Secretary:||Wulf Dieter Krueger|
|The Committees members:|
|– Public Relations & Sponsorship:||Jacob William (Jake) Thomas and Eckehart Lynen|
|– Refreshments:||Vacant and Paul Georgakis|
|– Facebook, Activities & Graphics:||Nathan Grady and Tom Dahlqvist|
|– Membership & Nominating:||Vacant and Paul Georgakis|
|– Radio & TV:||Paul Mueller and Eckehart Lynen|
|– Contact for UDRU & UEF:||Sven Hedell|
During the year, positions among the Chairman and Vice Chairmen may rotate.
Elections and Installation, in accordance with the Constitution and By-Laws, are part of the
Annual General Membership Meeting, to be held in January.
There will be no Nominations from the floor at the Annual Membership Meeting.
was a Raven Forward Air Controller in Laos in 1969. He will give us his personal account of the elite group of American, Thai, and Laotian pilots featured in the book,
“The Ravens, The Men Who Flew in America’s Secret War in Laos.”
He will also show a video clip from a documentary about the Ravens.
During the course of American history, there have been many covert military operations. None, however, reached the scope or intensity of the war in Laos during the Vietnam era. The backbone of this war were the Ravens-Forward Air Controllers (FACs) who flew small, slow propeller driven airplanes. The mission of the Ravens was to support indigenous forces in Laos in their fight against invading forces from North Vietnam.
He notes that there are very few Ravens still alive and he is the only one in this part of the world so he felt it would be good to tell the members and guests about some of the battle that is only one hour away from Pattaya by air. He will have autographed copies of the book “The Ravens Pilots of the Secret War in Laos” in hard back, which is now out of print.