UDON THANI EXPATS CLUB
MINUTES OF MEMBER MEETING
|Meeting number:||MOMM 0025|
|Location:||Bangkok Hospital Udon|
|Date:||Sunday, August 31, 2014.|
|Subject:||See Agenda (Distributed by e-mail and shown on the website)|
|Participants:||See attendance list (For Administration only)|
|Secretary:||J.J. van Spaandonk|
1. Peter Edwards opened the meeting at about 14.15 hours.
2. Administrative issues:
– 28 members, 1 Associate member, 2 new members and 5 guests attended the meeting.
– 11 members notified that they would not be able to attend.
– At present, the Club has 63 members (excluding the 2 new members) of whom; 18 members have been absent > 3 meetings. Of those 18; 3 members are still pending renewal. (A reminder has been send).
– Quorum is >40% of (63-18 is 45) is >18 Members. Quorum is OK.
– The minutes of the July 27, 2014 member meeting have been approved. No comments.
3. New Members, Visitors and Sponsors;
* One (1) member returned and re-joined after a couple of years; Mr. Richard De Pear from the USA.
* One (1) new member joined the Club to-day; Mr. Mark Valentine from the USA.
* Mr. Dhanajchai Samsen (in his absence) and Mr. Sophon Panasawatnong (present) of the Udon Thani Chamber of Commerce have been respectful thanked, and offered an “Associate Membership” of UTEC, for their considerable efforts in the promotion of UTEC and the organization of the various events in the previous season.
* Four (4) visitors; Mr. Allan Garner, Mr. Lee Bagdon, Mr. Gar Nelson and Mr. Dennis Walker attended the meeting.
* Two (2) new Sponsor; Bangkok Bank and Arisian Property, joined the Club this month.
* Excelsior Legal & Estate and the Wine Society in UD-town, informed to be a Club’s Sponsor. The Club welcomes them all with much pleasure.
4. Excelsior Legal & Estate planning
Mr. Ken Golby, Managing Director and Mr. Steve Kerr Head of Legal Services (Int’l) introduced themselves, whereupon Mr. Steve continued with a brief introduction of their services.
Will writing & Estate planning; Executor & trustee services; mortgages and refinancing of Thai property; Inheritance tax, Usufruct, etcetera.
For further details you are invited to visit the UTEC’s website www.udonexpatsclub.com, click Excelsior’s logo and continue on their website.
For a more private consultation, Mr. Kerr intends to offer our members the possibility for a personal meeting here in Udon. Time and location will be determined in consultation with the interested parties.
* The pre-arrangements for the Thursday, September 18, 2014 Boat trip with lunch along the Mekong river have been made. For details see attached detailed program. Those who have not yet filled out their name etcetera, during the membership meeting and would like to attend are kindly, but with urgency requested to send an e-mail to [email protected] We have sufficient seats available, so do not hesitate to join.
6. Open Forum
* Kurt informed; that the Hospital is ready to issue new Membership-cards for their various discount programs. Those members who are interested are invited, if they not have already done so, to send their birthday and year to [email protected] or [email protected] for further processing.
7. Coffee Break
In advance of the presentation by our guest speaker, we enjoyed a relaxed and entertaining Coffee Break. While some tried to master the sound & video system.
8. Guest Speaker; Mr.Terry Clayton
The very entertaining and lively presentation discussed the “Good news for aging brains”.
Forget the stereotype picture of aging as a slow decline into senility. Modern neuroscience and psychology are discovering that older brains can be better brains.
A couple of mood setting movie-trailers, accompanied by much approval of the viewers, were shown to underline the quintessence of the issues.
We were given an insight in:
1. How our brain ages and how that affects mental function (the good, the bad and the ugly)
2. How to assess our current state of mental function
3. Simple, practical activities and techniques to maintain and improve mental fitness as you grow older
It is suggested to have a look at http://www.youngatheartchorus.com/ and advised to join a chorus. That will be of a great benefit for your brain.
In addition, the advise was given to, frequently, read a book and join a Club (like UTEC’s Breakfasts and various activities) to have company to exchange and frequently discuss your thoughts.
It should not be forgotten that “Social isolation” and (even one glass) alcohol is our enemy.
For the complete presentation see http://www.slideshare.net/mangodhamma
9. Open Forum
* Terry Hopkins informed that he came in contact with the Orphanage center in Nong Sun. He visited the Orphanage several times and experienced a great need of the orphans to have contact with volunteers. He will investigate if the Staff of the Orphanage could be our Guest-speaker in a couple of months from now.
10. The meeting was closed by Peter at about 16.00 hrs. Last attendees left at about 16.30 hrs.
Next meeting will be on Sunday, September 26, 2014. Please check at www.udonexpatsclub.com for possible changes and / or further information.
September 3, 2014.
Joop J. van Spaandonk