UDON THANI EXPATS CLUB
MINUTES OF MEMBER MEETING
|Location:||Bangkok Hospital Udon|
|Date:||2013, Sunday, August 25.
|Subject:||See Agenda (Distributed by e-mail and shown on the website)|
|Participants:||See attendance list (For Administration only)|
|Secretary:||J.J. van Spaandonk|
1. Peter Edwards opened the meeting at 14.00 hours.
2. Administrative issues:
– 26 members attended the meeting.
– 4 members notified that they would not be able to attend the meeting.
– At present,the Club has 49 members of which six are pending renewal. Quorum (40%) is 19.6 Members.
– The minutes of the July 28, 2013 member meeting have been approved. No corrections.
3. Five visitors attended the meeting: Terry Hopkins, David Ramsey, Muriel Akkerman, Steve Jenkins, John Ward and our Guest speaker Martin Makella with his wife.
4. Two new Sponsors joined the Club. Please visit our website for details.
Century 21 Esaan; a Real–estatebroker
5. Open Forum:
* The table–arrangement for the member meetings will be changed a little. The two tables at the far end will be replaced by 1 table while the head (closest to the projection–screen) remains unchanged. This, due to the non–parallel line–up of the two “long–legs”, should create a better communication and view of the attendants at the speakers and projection–screen.
* The Club will, at this time, not start a “Funds–Raising–Program” for possible Donations.
* To the Club’s suggestion, to have a Boat–trip including Lunch at the Mekong–river at Nong Khai on Monday September 23, 2013, 31 persons (including spouses) enlisted. An invitation with details of the activity will be distributed to all members. Those who could not attend the meeting and like to join are invited to enlist at: [email protected]com, at their earliest convenience but before September 8, 2013.Costs (Boat–trip including Lunch) are estimated to be between Baht 250 and 350/ person. More details and exact price will be published after the number of participants is known.
* On the morning of Thursday, October 3, 2013, Bangkok Bank invites Members and Potential–Members to attend a presentation at the conference room at their main–office in Udon Thani. The presentation will be about all issues concerning “Banking in Thailand for Expats”. (Potential) Members are invited to forward their questions to: [email protected] before September8, 2013.
We already received following questions:
– How and what do we need, to open a bank
– What accounts can we have;
– Is it possible to have ATM;
– Is it possible to have Internet
– When we have an account on the name of two or more persons; what should we do in case one of that persons dies or disappears; can one person take the money out of the account;
– For some kind of Visa, Immigration requires to have a deposit of Baht 800,000.00 or Baht 400,000.00 at an account. What is the best way to have that deposit and have a proper interest;
– Can we have a loan for the acquisition of a car, a house, land etc.;
– Can we enter the Stock–market;
Those who did not attend or enlisted at the member meeting and are interested to join are invited to do that before September 8, 2013 at: [email protected]. (Up to now we have 21 attendees)
* (From last meeting; However still actual) A vast majority likes to have another Legal–Seminar. Questions shall be submitted in advance and shall concern general issues only. Individual/private issues shall be discussed at the Department and with the officers concerned.
At present the Bankbook shows a credit balance of 31,471.08 Baht, the Petty Cash +8,845.00 Baht.
In addition there are 9 club–caps plus 18 club–shirts in stock and for sale.
7. Announcements by Khun Eed of Bangkok Hospital Udon.
* The Cardio Centre at Bangkok Hospital Udon is now full–operational. This allows patients to have a complete treatment here in Udon, in stead of being transferred to Bangkok, Khon Kaen or elsewhere on the Globe. For a summary of available Examinations and Costs, please see attached publication of Bangkok Hospital Udon.
* In case you need an ambulance; call 1719 (Nation–wide). Tell the operator you give preference to Bangkok Hospital and you will have the “Mobile ICU” that is complete finished with all equipment and trained Staff needed.
* Members of Udon Expats Club are (free of charge) offered the Bangkok Hospital Udon’s (pre)–registration–card. This card offers a 10% discount to medication, medical supplies and in–patient room rate. The card will, for now, have no ending–date.
Following the meeting 21 persons (re) joined the program and signed in.
It shall be noted that also he/she who already has a (pre)–registration at the hospital as well as those who did not attend the meeting and want to join is advised to let [email protected] have their full name, date of birth and telephone number. The secretary will forward that to the hospital, collect the (pre)–registration–cards and hand them over at next member meeting.
* This August, the Health Insurance Program for foreigners “Chivawattana” is launched. In short:–No age limit, No previous conditions, No pre–examination.
– Special discounts of 10% to 50% on many of the rates and various services.
– Including various Health Check
– up programs.
Official program, with many more details, will be posted at the Club’s website.
8. Coffee break
9. Today’s Speaker
Mr. Martin Makella presented the growing and the various applications of the plant Jatropha Curcas.
Note by the secretary: In Thailand Jatropha is named: Saboo Dam(สบู่ดำ) (Black soap) and widely used as fuel for agriculture machines. Small production areas are all over Thailand. The production is not yet supported by the Government. After such a support a surge in the production and use may be expected.
With the world, in average, consuming a factor of 1.5 more energy as it may produce; Jatropha might become an important alternative energy source. (Japan counts for factor 7)
In addition, to help the world to prevent over–cropping or exhausting its resources and depletion of the soil, Jatropha may be a welcome alternative.
It was already used in the year 1836 for the street–lights in France and Portugal. Hundred years later; Japan used it on large scale to fuel its war–machine during WO II.
At present for example, One barrel of bio–fuel of Jatropha costs 43 US and of Sugar cane 45 US.
One rai may have 1000 plants. A hectare may have 2500 plants (producing ca 1800 kg/year).
For more detailed information we refer to the attached anthology.
10. The meeting was closed at 15.50 hrs.
Last attendees left at 16.45 hrs.
Next meeting, September 29, 2013 will be at the conference room onthe 4th floor of the Bangkok Hospital Udon.
Please check our website for possible changes and / or further information.
The Secretary of the Udon Expat Club,
August 27, 2013
J.J. van Spaandonk.